Thursday, September 04, 2008

Update on Villa of St Joseph's

As you all know, I've been working every Wednesday at Villa of St. Joseph's.  Quite a few of my friends have asked how that's been going, so in this post I will endeavor to share with you all what I've been up to there.

I've been working there for about a month now.  The first couple times I went it was really just trying to get around, learn who all the "sisters" were ect.  (the place is huge - it's hard not to get lost in there :P)  The next time I was there they had me taking care of one of the ladies outside, so she could get some fresh air.  We got to talking (of course :D) and I started asking her about why she became a nun and so on.  She told me she became a nun when she was 16 because she thought they seemed so holy - but she later found out they weren't so holy after all.
Then she asks me what parish I go to.  I explained that I don't go to a parish, I'm not Catholic.  That was the first time I'd told anyone there that I wasn't Catholic and the lady I'm working under was there when I said that.  She looked very surprised but didn't say anything.  
Then it was time to go in and help get the coffee/cookie/chat time ready for the really older ladies.

Yesterday part of my dream for going there was fulfilled! :D I went in and sister Sharon (the lady I work under) asked if I'd like to spend the first hour visiting with one of the sisters that is very sharp, but really likes company and someone to talk to.  I said "YES!" I went to her room and sat down and started talking to her.  I was very happy we were left totally alone because I was REALLY hoping to be share the gospel - after all that's the biggest reason I was there, and I hadn't really gotten to do that yet.
I started out by asking her to tell me why she became a nun.  She said she first started thinking about becoming a nun in 7th grade when she was in Catholic school and the priest called her in from outside and told her he was impressed with how good a job she was doing in school and thought she should consider becoming a nun.  She said after that she decided she would like to be a nun; she loved there "holy, organized" lifestyle, and wanted to serve God.  So she became a nun and taught school for 50 years after that... including theology.  That's when I jumped in and said; "Theology?  I love theology too!"  "Really?" she said.  "Yes!  Would you mind if I asked you some questions concerning theology?"  I asked.  "No, not at all, I would enjoy that."  Sooooo, I started. :D  "Well, what do you think about being born-again?  has that every happened to you?"  "Oh" she said "I (she shakes her head) just don't swallow that 'born-again' stuff!"  I said "That's very interesting because in John Chapter three Jesus says that unless a man is born-again he cannot see the kingdom of God."  She said "Yeah, I believe that's when you're baptised - so yes, I guess I have been born-again."  Then I said "That's interesting that you would say that because Jesus said that unless you're born of water and of the spirit you cannot see the kingdom of God...  so you have to born the first time into this world and the second time into the kingdom of God.  Can I tell you about how that happened to me?"
"Sure" she said.  "Well, when I was about 11 years old I came to see what an awful sinner I was in God's eyes - I saw that I'd broken His laws, I'd lied, stolen, dishonored my parents, ect.  So I knew that when I stand before God on Judgement day He's HAVE to punish me.  I was guilty.  But then I realized something else - it didn't have to be that way; Jesus Christ came down to this earth and paid in full the penalty for my sins.  Just like if I broke the law and couldn't pay my fine, but someone came in and paid it for me than I could go free.  My fine had been paid.  That's what Jesus did for me so I didn't have to go to Hell.  At that moment I repented of my sins and put my trust in Jesus and He saved me."
"Oh, so it was like a new beginning for you - you were turning over a new leaf." Said she.
I said "That's true too, we do become new persons in Christ.  But you see I couldn't make it to Heaven until God could legally see my as Innocent and dismiss my case.  He couldn't do that till I received that gift.  It was at that moment that I was born-again!  He forgave me.  I could go free."

Then she says; "So, are your parents Catholic?"  (I knew that was coming! :D)  I said "No, but they both used to be."  And just after I finished saying that sister Sharon came in and said she needed my help upstairs now. :D
Wow, so I left the lady with the thought that I wasn't Catholic.  Before we went out though, she informs the lady I was talking to that she'd like to have our family sing for them sometime.  Well, I thought that was a good idea because then maybe my dad could get a sermon in there somewhere! :-)
If anyone thinks of it PLEASE pray for this lady that the seed of the gospel will take root in her heart.  

We went up stairs to get stuff together for the coffee/cookie time.  They always sing some songs, and this time they just happened to ask me if there were any songs I knew that I'd like to sing.  "How about 'Amazing Grace"  I said "everyone knows that one"  The administrator says "I don't know that one very well so you're gonna have to help me out."  Some of them knew it, but I mostly sang a solo. :P lol.  We also sang How Great Thou Art.  That was nice.

Anyway.  That's kind of an update on how things have been going there.  I covet your prayers.  Pray that God would be able to use my to spread the gospel in that place.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Pruett said...

That is great! I am praying!

6:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, they don't know Amazing Grace?!? I coudn't stand to be Catholic. ;)

Great update, thanks for letting us know! I've really been wondering how it's going down there. (Well, UP there I should say!)

Love you!

5:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What astounding arrogance you have. How sad.

3:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home