Monday, May 18, 2009

One Year Ago...

I'm usually not in the habit of doing two posts in one day, but this is an anniversary that cannot be neglected.  
It was one year ago yesterday that I met some of the best friends I have. 
It will be one year tomorrow that my sister Rachel left for China.  
To be perfectly honest, I'm feeling somewhat sentimental tonight.  Thinking about all that  happened one year ago.
Jumping catfish!  A lot has happened in the past year.  But I'll focus on what happened a year ago rather than on everything that happened in the past year. :)
Here goes...
I knew all my Southern friends before they came.  We'd talked on the phone and emailed and chatted and the whole works.  But it just so happens that they live in Georgia and we live in Wisconsin, which made meeting each other pretty difficult.
Ok.  So, I'll try to start at the beginning here.  We set up a party for Rachel before she left for China so she could see all her friends before she left.  What I didn't know was just how many friends were going to be there.  It was already very exciting because Britt and Hannah Otterson came down as well as Deborah Martinez from Ohio. 
This was the weird thing.  My mom was like constantly on the phone for about a week or two before Rachel's party and she kept asking questions about our friends from GA.  The weird part was that every time Rachel or I would ask her who she was talking about she got embarrassed and changed the subject.  Rae and I started to wonder if our friends from GA were going to be coming up to her party - and maybe it was supposed to be a surprise.  I decided to ask Anna about it.  When I asked she said, "Oh, yeah, I think I heard something about some friends from out West coming".  Then I was super confused.  We really don't have any friends from out West. So we decided to dismiss the whole thing as wishful thinking.  
I completely forgot about it on the day of Rachel's party.  

People started arriving at the park and I was busy setting up food and greeting people and lo and behold I see some people standing by the women's bathroom.  They looked just like my friends from Ga.  But I must be dreaming.  Of course they couldn't be there.  But yes!  It looked like they were really there.  
I went running over there giving out hugs in totally shock.  I don't think I've ever felt more surprised in my whole life before.  I was like almost crying I was so happy and shocked.
But the classic moment came when Rae came out of the bathroom.  Seriously.  This picture says it all...
Needless to say, we had an absolutely wonderful time with them - talking, laughing, taking pictures, and (ahem) eating.
We spent the day at the park...



And the evening at our house...


Before I close this post I want to pay a tribute to two different people.

To Rachel

Wow.  I really miss you!  It's been a long year since you've been gone.  I didn't realize just how close we were and what a wonderful sister you are still you left.  I can't wait to see you again.
I have to mention that I totally feel like a prophetess right now though.  I recall saying you were going to marry the Chinese guy - Bill, and it was only a couple months that you were there before you told me you loved him.  Ha!  *Sorry, I had to do just a tad bit of little sister gloating*
Thank you for your bold witness for Jesus, and your willingness to "give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot loose"!  You're an amazing example for me!  I love you!
I just wanted to say an absolutely huge, categorical THANK YOU for being such a wonderful friend and sister.  I miss you more than you know! <3>

Tribute number two.

To Caiti


I don't think we really got that close till after we met.  I mean, we were fun chums and everything.  But we didn't really spend hours talking and stuff like we do now.
Honestly, that day we met I just knew we were going to be great friends.  I think a big part of the reason is because I found someone who could be as brutally honestly, and sarcastic as me. ( Besides that fact that you're a super good example for me of a Christian girl who loves Jesus.)
Here's just one example of that - thus quoth Caiti, "Rebecca! Rebecca! wherefore art thou, my sweet, fair, lovely (sharp tongued) Rebecca?!
I miss thee! 
I miss thy carefree laughter. I miss thy sarcastic scorn.:D"  

You've become one of the best friends I have, Caiti!  Thank you for being such a wonderful friend!  I love and miss you so much!  I can't wait to see you again at Rae's wedding! ;)

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

aww! so cute "Elizabeth"! i miss you too! <3 (and all you girls from GA and Hannah,Britt, and Anna)Seriously!! ;) it was awesome getting to meet everyone and becoming friends in the process! <3 <3 i can't believe that it's been a year either! i've actually been thinking about being in WI the last couple of days too. that was the funnest week that i've ever had! i love all of you guys!!! <3
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

9:19 PM

 
Blogger Caitlin said...

Wow. A year ago.

I didn't used to believe the grown ups when they would talk about how time flies as you get older. It's true - and I'm not even 20!

I forgot I said that little quote you put in there. LOL I'm a genius.

err, eh... Praise the Lord for the gifts he has given me. ;-)

7:49 AM

 
Blogger joygirl said...

Haha! I was just reminiscing about how much fun I had one year ago with you and everyone else I met there, and then I come on here and you'd posted about it! :D

I don't think anything could possibly ever be better than that week! It was AMAZING! :) And yes, Caiti, the time has flown by for me too (and I'm only 16!!). lol!
Love you and miss you all lots and lots!

10:58 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

It's so hard to believe that it's already been a year... goodness, time flies.

I'm so glad we got to come see you all - such wonderful memories! <3<3
You girls are so sweet, and I am SO thankful God brought y'all into my/our lives. God is so good.

..I can't wait to see you all again [soon!] for Rae's wedding! <3

8:49 AM

 
Anonymous big sis said...

awwww...

I'm speechless. I really miss you, too, Rebecca... I'd love to come home again and see you, but it would be great if you'd come here, too... "Oh the places we'd go..."
;) Seriously!

Great post, great memories, great friends, and I have a great sister! <3 i love you

10:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home